By: Hillel Fuld
Distimo, the mobile analytics company, just released yet another informative and eye opening report on the world of mobile apps. This time, Distimo focused on Asia including China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. The report includes some pretty astounding numbers.
Here are the highlights:
– After the U.S, China is the second largest country in terms of iPhone app downloads.
– Western countries such as France and Germany has seen declining download numbers since December.
– South Korea leads Asia in app downloads despite the lack of games in the South Korean App Store.
– Games are the most downloaded types of apps without exception in all countries.
– Despite the large number of app downloads, Asia falls behind the US and Europe in revenue as less apps are paid for in Asia.
– In both the US and Asia, the top app categories are Games, Entertainment, Social, Photography, and Utilities.
– Most of the top apps in Asia are localized apps in the respective language and with targeted and relevant content.
– In App Purchases are a failure in China and have completely not taken off compared to in-app advertising, which has.
All in all, as you have probably gathered, this report proves on thing, when it comes to mobile apps, Asia is an absolutely booming market. If you are a developer looking to make it big, this, among others, is the market you want to target!